Sunday, September 19, 2010

Note to self:

Always soak fingers in milk immediately after handling hot peppers. You will save yourself and your eyes so much grief later!

I like to think my kitchen "accidents" are akin to Tim the Tool Man Taylor's home improvement accidents - minus the hospital visits.

What's been your stupidest kitchen accident?

Mine was when I almost chopped off part of my finger with a chef's knife. But the Multiple Injuries Award goes to the times I've 1) Grated my knuckles with the cheese grater and 2) Burned my hand on the saute pan that I just took out of the oven. I have learned my lesson on the latter, however, and keep an oven mitt securely on the handle until the pan cools.

4 comments:

  1. Grating knuckles is one of mine. But my worst was when I was doing dishes and I reached into the soapy water and pushed down on a knife blade. Yeah. I don't leave my sharp knives in the water when doing dishes any more. They sit on the counter and are washed one by one.

    I'll try the milk trick next time I cut hot chiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG Beth, my hand is in pain just READING about your experience. Ouuuuuuuuchhhhh! I almost fainted when I sliced off part of my fingernail. I can only imagine what I would've done if I had pushed my hand down on a knife blade. *Shudder*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once, when I was screwing on the bottom of our blender, I screwed it on the wrong way, so the blade was pointing outward instead of inward. For a few minutes, I couldn't figure out what I had done wrong and why there was no blade inside the blender... my mom had to come over and show me what I had done wrong. I felt so stupid after that! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to keep a potholder on saute pans hot out of the oven too. Been burned too many times.

    ReplyDelete