Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Unlovable by Dan Yaccarino

I am just a tad bit biased when it comes to reviewing this book because I am a devoted pug owner. So when I came across this book about a pug that is told by the family cat that he is unlovable, I couldn't help but feel the need to shout, "BUT I LOVE YOU!!!!!"

My heart broke for Alfred the pug at the beginning of the story as he banished himself to the backyard so as not to have to hear the cat, the parrot, and even the goldfish declare how unlovable he is.

This is a great book to use with kids to teach lessons about not excluding others and embracing each other's differences. The illustrations are simple but have great impact and emotion, and despite Alfred's empty eyes, they bore into your soul and make you feel extreme empathy for him.


Unlovable by Dan Yaccarino
Published: January 2001 by Henry Holt
Pages: 32
Genre: Children's picture book

2 comments:

  1. OH my goodness, they are sooo cute, I can hardly stand it!!! Where did you get them? What are their names?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph,

    We got them from a breeder in Michigan.

    The black one is Guenter and the tan one is Frank.

    ReplyDelete