Friday, June 24, 2011

My name is Beth and I have an ice cream addiction

Last night my husband and I went to a local ice cream shop called Treat Dreams in Ferndale. Believe it or not, I found out about it from reading Food Network Magazine. There was an article on p. 47 of the most recent issue (July/Aug) about places that are using potato chips in desserts. Treat dreams uses chocolate covered potato chips in an ice cream flavor they call "Tastes like Saturday Night". I, however, did not try this flavor, not because I didn't want to - I'm fairly courageous when it comes to trying desserts - but because there were two other flavors I had my eye on. Well, actually, with flavors like these, there were quite a few flavors I had my eye on, but two in particular.
Can you guess which flavors caught my eye? Well, after sampling three flavors, I went with a scoop of rosemary olive oil and honey lavender.

Oh my goodness! These two ice creams were heavenly. The rosemary olive oil had much more subtle olive oil flavor than the olive oil ice cream I make at home, but the rosemary flavor came through really nicely. But the honey lavender was by far one of the best ice creams I've ever eaten in my life. It was floral and sweet, but not too sweet and had a faint lavender hue.

I was so elated to have found this place because ever since I started making my own ice cream, I thought I was forever chained to my ice cream maker. In recent months I have been to both Dairy Queen and Cold Stone Creamery and felt equally unsatisfied upon leaving. When I spend my time at home making green tea, olive oil, and basil ice cream, the ice cream chain down the street just doesn't do it for me anymore.

But Treat Dreams is the answer to my desire to be able to go out (not just make) and find unique flavors at a place that uses local, quality ingredients.

This ice cream was so amazing that when I woke up, the first thought that entered my mind at 6:30 this morning was honey lavender ice cream.

It was at that moment I knew. The first step is admission after all so here goes: my name is Beth and I am an ice-cream-aholic.

1 comment:

  1. I would definitely take the vegan mounds rd. - sounds delicious - wish my local ice cream place made vegan ice cream. sorbet just isn't the same.

    ReplyDelete