Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Perfect Scoop is the perfect "cookbook" for summer

When I first reviewed this book on Goodreads, I hadn't made any of the recipes yet but I still gave it five stars based on its comprehensiveness and the unusual flavors I was excited to try. Well, I'm here to say that after having this book for two years and tried many of the flavors, it still deserves five stars.

This is the ultimate ice cream recipe book, the Holy Grail of ice cream if you will. Not only does it have tried and true favorites like vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, and shows you different approaches to making them (e.g. Philadelphia style which is with no eggs, and custard-based, which is with eggs) but it also has some of the most fun, unusual flavors that ice cream aficionados will be clamoring to try.

With flavors like:
saffron
black pepper
pear pecorino
parsley
goat cheese
rice
avocado
lavender honey
roquefort honey
olive oil

you've gotta give Lebovitz 5 stars for creativity.

But once you get past the novelty of the creative flavors, you're still left with a mouth-watering, delicious batch of ice cream. Lebovitz is not just making these unusual ice cream flavors for the shock value of it. He truly cares about making a good product, and would never steer the home cook wrong. Every flavor of ice cream I've made with this book has turned out delicious.

So far I've made:
olive oil
Aztec "hot" chocolate
basil
ginger
rice
green tea 

oh yeah, and vanilla :)

and they have all been outstanding. If you are even the least bit interested in making your own ice cream at home, this book will convince you to be full-fledged, gung-ho about making your own ice cream.


This was my first attempt at making green tea (matcha) ice cream and it was delicious!
I do have one word of warning however: once you buy this book and start making your own ice cream, you'll never be able to go back to Dairy Queen again. My husband and I went there a few weeks ago and I couldn't even enjoy my ice cream cone because it was so blah compared to the ice cream I make at home. 






The Perfect Scoop: Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, and Sweet Accompaniments by David Lebovitz
Published: May 2007
Publisher: Ten Speed Press
Pages: 256
Genre: Cookbook
Audience: Foodies and Ice Cream Lovers 
Disclosure: Purchased Copy 

If you buy this book or any book through Amazon, it is my hope that you also regularly patronize independent bookstores, which are important centerpieces of thriving communities. While I am an Amazon Affiliate, that by no means implies that I only buy my books through their website. Please make sure you are still helping small, independent bookstores thrive in your community. To locate an independent bookstore near you, visit IndieBound

18 comments:

  1. You have got to try the Panforte ice cream! It is my favorite so far.

    And you're right. I haven't bought store bought ice cream since buying my ice cream machine and this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have made a few recipes (I want to make more, but need to limit myself!!) Out of the ones you'd made, I'd also made vanilla (French style) and Green Tea. Loved both! Not usually a vanilla person (would eat it, but not a favorite) until I had this one! I'd always loved green tea ice cream, and some ready-made ones were terrible. So I'm glad I am able to make my own now. I need to try some of the more unusual ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am dying to have me some green tea ice cream. I ate it a while back at a Japanese restaurant, and I absolutely fell in love with the flavor. Problem is I can't seem to find it in stores around where I live. Maybe I should invest in an ice cream machine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marg, ice cream makers are not that expensive and oh so easy to use. I think the one my husband bought me for my birthday a couple years ago was only $40 and we've gotten TONS of use out of it. The key is to always keep the container in the freezer so when the mood strikes you to make ice cream, it's ready to go. Otherwise, you're going to have to wait 24 hours for it to freeze before you can put the ice cream base in the container to freeze.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always wanted to buy an ice cream maker, but was afraid the ice cream just wouldn't turn out right. You have now convinced me to go ahead just so I can get this great book!
    I am curious what the olive oil ice cream was like...

    ReplyDelete
  6. @TheBookGirl DO IT! Making your own ice cream is so easy and so much better than anything you'll get in a grocery store.

    Olive oil ice cream is FANTASTIC! We automatically think olive oil is only for savory applications, but EVOO is actually quite fruity. When you combine it with milk and sugar, it has a lovely mild flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! I *love* green tea ice cream, and if I knew how to make it at home I too would never again go store-bought. The Aztec "hot" chocolate also sounds awesome - I love spicy chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had not checked out this book-I love making my own ice cream-although I must say, fruit flavors are my favorite in the summertime. I am always looking for another ice cream book so I will need to check this one out. I have a gelato book I bought in Italy years ago-however translating is always a deterrant to pulling it out on the spot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I shouldn't be, but I'm surprised at the wide variety of flavors you've mentioned here for ice cream. This is way beyond the 39 at Baskin Robins. I'm intrigued enough to see if my library has a copy. Your green tea ice cream looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's such a great cookbook, I need to get out the ice cream maker already! The matcha ice cream looks so good! I love the color.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like such a deletable cookbook! All the flavors sound so unusual but Roquefort honey ice cream is a flavor that I'd like to try as I can't even begin to imagine what it tastes like.

    This is my first time joining in Beth's event ..I am really enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooohh. My Weekend Cooking post this week is about ice cream to, but I only am reading about it, not actually making it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a great fan of David Lebovitz's blog. I've been thinking about this book for a while. I'm sure I should buy it. Goats cheese ice cream sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the recommendation! I will have to get this one for myself as well as anyone else I know who has an ice cream maker. This would also make a great wedding present (along with an ice cream maker).

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm not a big ice cream fan but this looks creamy delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I need to get this book -- I have copied some of his recipes from the Internet, but I think I need to have an entire book!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mmmm...Aztec hot chocolate sounds delicious. I love chocolate ice cream, as long as it has something more than just chocolate in it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this cookbook. All that heavy cream in the recipes is dangerous, however!

    ReplyDelete